Wednesday, June 1, 2016

When It Rains, It Pours

And for once I do not mean this figuratively...

All day as I was driving to Athens, I was stuck in sporadic torrential downpours. The weather would go from being absolutely gorgeous and sunny to thunderstorms with low visibility. All this would've been fine if I weren't planning on camping tonight...

I started my day by visiting Blue Hole Falls in Elizabethton, TN and was sadly disappointed. I was under the impression that the falls were going to be more impressive, but instead they were just 'eh'. After the mild disappointment, I headed to North Carolina to check out the Sierra Nevada Brewery.

Since I was on a time crunch to get to my camping site, I decided to skip the tour and head straight to the Taproom for a few flights. The beers were great, totally making up for the bummer of a waterfall from earlier. As I sat there drinking my flights alone, I decided to take some pictures. A man seated next to me took notice and told me I should visit the New Belgium Brewery as well as Wicked Weed. I thanked him for the recommendation and headed out after finishing my beers.

Flight #1

I decided against going to the other two breweries in hopes to make it to the campsite in South Carolina with time to spare so I could actually relax before setting up camp. (Seeing as how the rain ruined my plans, though, there would've been no harm in going...) As I headed to South Carolina, the weather began to change. The sunny skies I was basking in earlier in the day were slowly being filled with black, ominous clouds. I knew this wouldn't be good, but decided to head to Caesar's Head State Park for lunch any way.

I arrived at Caesar's Head around 2pm and made a sandwich. (Past Allee was so smart for buying lunch meat, bread, and mustard to put in a cooler.) The lookout was gorgeous, even despite the roaring thunder and mist slowly creeping in. I spent about a half hour or so there before the skies opened up and started to drench me. I checked my GPS to see how far the campsite was and decided to try to go there since it was 30 miles away.

As I continued my journey towards the campsite, the weather got progressively worse and then better and then worse again. Since I didn't have a tarp or anything for my tent (stupid me, I know), I decided to just drive to Athens. 

Caesar's Head

Now I am finally here and the rain has followed me. I can hear it beating against my hotel window which is making me not want to leave again... Luckily I have mostly everything I need here with me so I can hopefully wait out the storm.

Tomorrow I trek to the University of Georgia, a whopping 2 miles away from my hotel, to move into my tiny room for the summer. I will definitely be enjoying my last night in a King-sized bed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment