Monday, November 16, 2015

Elephants can't jump

Life is weird. I'm at the point in my life where half of my friends are engaged, getting married, and having kids while the other half can't find their keys when they are drunk. It's a very weird place to be.

I've always been known to date people. Whether it's a serious relationship (some lasting up to four years) or casual dating, I'm used to sharing my time with someone else. After coming out of a serious relationship with someone I thought I was going to marry, I decided to do what any logical person would do: sleep around. I'd never had the opportunity to do it before so I figured why the hell not?

It was definitely a great year that turned into two years, but it has seem to lose its appeal. I've been dating people off and on for the last year or so and am trying hard not to just sleep around anymore. (Not because I don't enjoy it, but because I'm longing for a deeper connection, ya know?) 

As a twenty-something living in 2015, it's not uncommon to sleep around and date a ton of people. Many people in my generation seem to have given up on the whole relationship aspect of life and have moved into the hookup scene. There's nothing wrong with this, but I don't think this is solely what I want any more.

I've spent the last two (+) years finding myself and figuring out who I am as my own person. It's been a rough road, but I'm finally starting to understand what I want in life (and a partner too, if that's in the cards). I'm realizing I shouldn't (and don't need to) rely on someone else for my happiness. My friends might be in committed relationships, but that doesn't mean I have to be. At this point in my life, there's nothing I should be doing. There's no right place to be and I need to stop comparing myself to others (in all aspects) because all that does is drive me crazy.

For a long time, I would constantly compare myself to other people my age and if I wasn't where they were, I thought I was doing something wrong. But honestly, who the fuck cares? Everyone is different and no one's journey is going to look exactly the same. So what if my friends are getting married and having kids right now? That's not where I am and that's okay. 

Someone once told me that "you can't compare the start of your journey to another person's middle" so I challenge you all to think differently and stop stressing about where you are at in comparison to others. Just do your own thing and enjoy the ride. Things will all work out in the end, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment