Monday, October 5, 2015

It's the End of the World as We Know It

And I feel fine... well, sort of...

What would you do if you knew it was your last day on earth? Spend all of your money? Travel somewhere? Spend time with those you love? If you truly knew that there was no tomorrow, what would you do?

I was thinking about this a lot because of a threat that was posted about a college in the Philadelphia area. I try not to live my life in fear, but this was one of those times where I was actually nervous that something could happen. No schools were specifically targeted in the threat, but it was enough to freak everyone out on campus. Philly cops were all over campus and I'm pretty sure I saw a SWAT truck at one point. I was glad that they were taking precautions, but everything just felt weird.
 
When I originally heard about the threat, everyone (and I mean everyone) was freaking out. My dad called me to tell me to be safe, friends and other family members were texting me throughout the day, and my staff kept looking to me for answers.  There wasn't much I could do or say other than the "university is taking the precautions they see fit and we will figure it out from there."

At the end of the day, everyone felt much better. Nothing had happened, as far as we know, and we were all safe and sound on our little campus. (And for that, I am quite thankful.)
 

Even though everything turned out all right, I still spent some time today thinking about the "what ifs". What if today had been my last day here? Have I done everything I've wanted to do thus far? Am I happy with where my life is at? 

Honestly, if today had been my last day, I would feel okay about it. My life hasn't been perfect thus far, but I wouldn't change anything about it. Every little thing I have done, every thing that has happened to me (good and bad), all the chaos that I thought would never end, led me to where I am now. As much as I've complained in the past, I am so thankful for the broken road that I've been going down to get to where I am today.

So I leave you with this: live every day as though it could be your last. (Cliche, I know.) Don't hold grudges, love one another, and do what makes you happy. Make sure you live each day to the fullest because as shitty and depressing as this sounds, tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment